YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
APRIL 16, 2012 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION AT 6:45 PM.
A G E N D A
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of March 19, 2012 and the Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting of April 2, 2012. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 03/31/2012 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 03/31/12
- Food Service Fund - $138,287.82
- Capital Reserve Fund - $215,388.50
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $1,236,442.11
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2011-12 - $1,515,302.35
- Food Service Fund - $143,211.46
- Capital Reserve Fund - $0
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $1,910.51
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Recognition of the First Place Medalists in the Southcentral PA Regional Science Olympiad Competition. The Board of School Directors would like to recognize the students and their parents.
- First Place Medalists in Water Quality
- Emma Matcham, daughter of James and Mary Jane Matcham
- Hannah Yu, daughter of Pyong and Yong Yu
- Recognition of the All-State Musicians at the PA Music Educators Association. The Board of School Directors would like to recognize the students and their parents.
- All-State Orchestra
- Rose Crosset, daughter of Robert and Lisa Crosset
- All-State Band
- Nathan Krebs, son of Martin and Melinda Krebs
- All-State Jazz Band
- Hayden Orleth-Diener, son of Tim Diener and Rauthild Orleth-Diener
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the March 19, 2012 Regular Monthly Board Meeting and the April 2, 2012 Planning Committee Meeting and prior to this evening's meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Student Enrollment Report.
- Comprehensive Plan Update - Dr. Maloney
- Administrative Retreat
- High School Principal Search - Dr. Merkle
- The administration recommends approval of a settlement agreement between the District and the parents of Student No. 212584. [Motion and Vote]
- Request for Overnight Field Trip. The administration recommends approval of the Overnight Field Trip Request for Quiz Bowl students. [Discussion, Motion and Vote]
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled May 17 at 3:45 PM.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Communications Report and Activities Report are provided.
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled May 7 at 6:00 PM.
- Facilities Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Guaranteed Energy Savings Proposal. The Director of Finance and Support Services is recommending the Board defer action on the proposals for Guaranteed Energy Savings projects from Johnson Controls until the terms of the financing can be reviewed with RBC.
Questions and Answers Cover
Questions and Answers 1 - Responses to Board Questions
Questions and Answers 3 - Buildings & Grounds Committee Presentation
Questions and Answers 4 - Administration's Facility Improvement Measure Workshop
Questions and Answers 5 - Technology Workshop
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled April 25 at 5:30 PM.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled May 2 at 5:30 PM.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- Addendum to the Agreement - York Suburban Education Support Personnel Association. The administration recommends the acceptance of the Addendum to the Agreement for wage reductions for the remaining two years of the YSESPA Agreement and an extension of the YSESPA Agreement for one year through June 30, 2015. [Motion and Vote]
- Recommend the extension of the Contract for Employment of the Director of Finance and Support Services, Dennis L. Younkin, for the term June 2, 2012 through June 1, 2013, and authorizing the Board President to execute a document memorializing the contract extension. [Motion and Vote]
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes approval of requests for leave of absence, employment, retirements, resignations substitute teachers, and guest teachers. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; second; roll call vote.
- Requests for Leave of Absence
- Recommend Board approval of the request of Mary Ann Stone, Food Service Employee at East York Elementary School, for an extension of her unpaid leave of absence starting April 1, 2012 through June 5, 2012.
- Recommend Board approval of the request of Suzette White, 2nd Grade Teacher at Yorkshire Elementary School, for a short-term disability leave starting on or about July 12, 2012, followed by a family medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act starting on or about August 23, 2012 through September 28, 2012. Mrs. White will be returning to her position on October 1, 2012.
- Recommend the employment of Dana McGurk as a Long Term Substitute 5th Grade Teacher for Patricia Rinkevich at the Indian Rock Elementary School, starting April 2, 2012, through June 6, 2012, at the daily rate of $105.
- Recommend the employment of Jennifer Miller as a Substitute Lunchroom Aide at the hourly rate of $9.55, effective for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Recommend the employment of Andrea Tarr as a Long Term Substitute Math Teacher for Debra Young at the Middle School, starting March 26, 2012, through approximately May 4, 2012, at the daily rate of $105.
- Recommend Board approval of the retirement of Beth Landau, English Teacher at the High School, effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year. Mrs. Landau is retiring after having served 7 years in education, all with York Suburban School District.
- Recommend Board approval of the retirement of Patricia Vaughn, Head Cook at Yorkshire Elementary School and formerly the Head Cook at the High School, effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year. Mrs. Vaughn is retiring after having served 32 1/2 years with York Suburban School District.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Russell Greenholt, High School Principal, effective June 30, 2012.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Thomas Shugars, Assistant Boys Soccer Coach, effective immediately.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Thomas Triggs, Head Boys Basketball Coach, effective March 22, 2012.
- Substitute Teachers and Guest Teachers
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- The next Planning Committee meeting is May 7 at 7:30 PM.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled May 2 at 3:45 PM.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Mr. Sears
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Mini-Board Report dated March 29, 2012 is provided by the York County School of Technology Joint Operating Committee.
- York Adams Academy Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report - Mr. Sears
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the April 3, 2012 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- 2012-13 Budget Development. The administration recommends the adoption of the Proposed Final Budget for the 2012-13 fiscal year. [Motion and Vote]
2012-13 Proposed General Operating Fund Budget - Background Information, Fiscal Impact and Recommendation
2012-13 Proposed Budget Changes
General Fund Budget Summary for Prior Years, Current and Budget Year
PDE 2028 - 2012-13 Preliminary General Fund Budget
- Budget Transfers 2011-12. The administration recommends approval of the March 31, 2012 Budget Transfers for the 2011-12 Budget. [Motion and Vote]
- Recognition of Visitors
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE MEETING.