YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
JULY 18, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Combined Planning Commitee & Regular Monthly Board Meeting of June 20, 2011 and the Minutes of the Planning Commitee Meeting of July 11, 2011. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 06/30/11 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 06/30/11
- Food Service Fund - $212,214.88
- Capital Reserve Fund - $315,964.89
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $3,649,745.01
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2010-11 - $1,095,494.44
- Food Service Fund - $69,053.94
- Capital Reserve Fund - $0
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $687,992.07
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the July 11, 2011 for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Final Report for 2011 Graduates. The Final Report for the Class of 2011 is provided. A detailed report is available for Board members.
- High School Learning Center Report. Dr. Greenholt will provide a report.
- Administrative Retreat Overview.
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled August 18 at 11:00 AM.
- Buildings and Grounds Committee Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Update. Mrs. Freireich will provide a project update. Mr. Houser will be available for any questions.
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Change Orders. The administration recommends the approval of the proposed change orders in the amount of $30,974.54 for the Valley View renovations and additions project. The individual change orders are provided. [Motion and Vote]
- PlanCon Part I: Interim Reporting. The Department of Education PlanCon process requires the submission of an interim report when the total structure contract costs for a project reaches 3% ($206,718) or $300,000 whichever is less. The current approved contract changes through May exceed this amount. [Motion and Vote]
- Bid Award High School Site Lighting. Bids were received for this project on July 15, 2011. NuTec Design did evaluate the bids. The administration recommends the award of the bid to McCarty & Sons Inc. for a base bid of $64,767 and Alternate 1 bid of $17,443 for a total of $82,210. Alternate 2, the lighting adjacent to the Valley View site, is not beging recommended at this time due to the discovery of utility lines along the site. [Motion and Vote]
- The next Buildings and Grounds Committee meeting is scheduled September 21 at 3:45 PM.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled August 1 at 6:00 PM.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled July 27 at 7:30 AM.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- The Personnel Committee Report listing resignations and a reassignment is provided.
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes employment, re-appointment of medical personnel and re-appointment of extra-curricular positions. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; roll call vote.
- Recommend the employment of Rachel Glick as a full-time substitute for the 2011-2012 school year as a Social Science Teacher at the High School, at the salary of $48,080 (Step 1 of the Bachelor's Degree Schedule).
- Recommend the appointment of David Darrah as Middle School Assistant Student Council Advisor at the salary of $375.50 (1/2 salary) which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Sallie Spanswick as National Honor Society Advisor at the salary of $636 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Susan Wolschleger as High School Musical Accompanist at the salary of $479 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Chris Rotolo as Head Baseball Coach at the salary of $4,602 which represents Step 3 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. Rotolo served as an Assistant Baseball Coach at Bermudian Springs for 6 years before joing York Suburban.
- Recommend the appointment of Scott Cobb to the position of Junior Varsity Baseball Coach at the salary of $3,469 which represents Step 3 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. Cobb served as the Varsity Assistant last season and was a volunteer on the JV staff prior to that.
- Recommend the appointment of Daniel VanHouwe to the position of Head Girls' Cross Country Coach at a salary of $3,258 which represents Step 3 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. VanHouwe served as volunteer coach for the cross country teams for 8 years and has been an assistant track coach in charge of distance runners for 6 years.
- Re-appointment of Medical Personnel for 2011-12
- Recommend the re-appointment of Christian N. Carlisle, DDS, as the school dentist at an examing fee of $10 per student.
- Recommend the re-appointment of East York Family Medicine - Wellspan Medical Group with William Konchar, M.D., as our primary physician for consultation, supervision of protocols and required school physical examinations (excluding sports physicals) at a consultation fee of $500 per year. The individual physical examination fee is $10 per student.
- Re-Appointment of Extra-Curricular Positions for 2011-12 - High School
- Band Director - Matthew Husler
- Assistant Band Director - Ashley Markey
- Band Front Director - Brett Spahr
- Percussion Director - T W Drumm
- Jazz Band Director - Matthew Husler
- Orchestra Director - Ashley Thrush
- Indoor Percussion Director - T W Drumm
- Drama Set Construction - Ray Olewiler
- Musical Director - Myrna Schaszberger
- Asst. Musical Director - Deb Fauth
- Musical Set Design & Construction - Steven Thomas Smith
- Musical Sound & Lighting - John Stiles
- Pit Orchestra/Choral Director - Ashley Thrush
- Musical Choreographer - Michelle Vranich
- Musical Ticket Coordinator - Jane Young
- Newspaper Advisor - Elizabeth Bedell
- Yearbook Advisor - Marcella Oathout
- Student Council Advisor - Steven Whiteley
- TV Studio Advisor - Joseph Toren
- 10th Grade Advisor - Jill Feltenberger/Brandi Adamy*
- 11th Grade Advisor - Joan Hammond
- 12th Grade Advisor - Joan Hammond
- Best Buddies Advisor - Neil Gutekunst/Jennifer Martin*
- Green Club Advisor - Leigh Foy
- Ski Club Advisor - Thomas Lubaszewski
- National Art Honor Society Advisor - Erica Silva-Furjanic
- National English Honor Society Advisor - Marcella Oathout
- French Honor Society Advisor - Lindell Gladfelter
- Spanish Honor Society Advisory - Heather Kinneman
- German Honor Society Advisor - Kathleen Falatovich
- Project Harmony Advisory - Jennifer Andrews
- SADD Advisor - Amy Kendrick
* Shared Position - 1/2 Pay
- Re-Appointment of Extra-Curricular Positions for 2011-12 - Middle School
- Band Director - James Biddle
- Stage Band Director - James Biddle
- Orchestra Director - Ashley Thrush
- Newspaper Advisor - Karen Campbell
- Yearbook Advisor - Jamie Evans
- TV Technical Advisor - David Wint
- TV Program Advisor - Michael Jackson
- Student Council Advisor - Peg Zirkle
- Assistant Student Council Advisor - Judy Brown-Hershner*
- Science Fair Coordinator - Jamie McFadden
- Asst. Science Fair Coordinator - Katie Green
* Shared Position - 1/2 Pay
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled August 18 at 2:00 PM.
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Draft 2011-12 State Funding information for the public. A draft is provided.
- The next Planning Committee meeting is scheduled August 1 at 7:30 PM.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled August 1 at 11:00 AM.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- York County School of Technology - Mr. Royer
- York Adams Academy Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the June 28 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Selection of Voting Delegates for PSBA Legislative Policy Council Meeting. The Board may appoint two voting delegates to participate in the PSBA Legislative Policy Council meeting to be held on October 20. [Motion and Vote]
- PSBA's 2012 Legislative Platform Proposal. PSBA acknowledged receipt of the proposal concerning cyber charter school funding. The Board has the right to send a representative to the PSBA Platform Committee meeting on August 6.
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- Quarterly Budget Transfers. The administration recommends approval for the April through June budget transfers. [Motion and Vote]
- 2012 Springettsbury Township Tax Collector Compensation. The administration and solicitor will provide further information regarding tax collector compensation and the proposed reslution for Springettsbury Township. [Motion and Vote]
- Title Report. Dr. Maloney
- Recognition of Visitors
There will be an Executive Session immediately following the meeting.
TO: Members of the York Suburban School Board
FROM: Kathryn L. Orban, Superintendent
DATE: July 18, 2011
SUBJECT: Addendum to the Agenda for the Board Meeting of July 18, 2011
IX. Personnel Committee Report
8. Name: Lisa R. Lewis
Education: J.P. McCaskey High School, Diploma
Wake Forest University, B.A. in Communications
Towson University, Secondary Education English Certification
Certification: English 7-12
Experience: Manheim Township School District, English Teacher
Howard County Public Schools, English/Journalism Teacher
Contract: Temporary Professional
Salary: $53,860 - B.S. - Step 5
Assignment: English Teacher
Building: High School
9. Recommend the employment of Sandra Briggs as a part-time Health Room Assistant at the hourly rate of $15.45, effective at the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year.
10. Recommend the employment of Glenda Heffner as a Food Service Employee at the High School at the hourly rate of $9.15 effective August 29, 2011.