YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
OCTOBER 17, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
A G E N D A
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
- Public Comment
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of September 19, 2011 and the Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting of October 3, 2011. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 09/30/11 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 09/30/11
- Food Service Fund - $121,368.09
- Capital Reserve Fund - $314,300.95
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $2,029,230.54
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2011-12 - $1,070,925.50
- Food Service Fund - $123,636.86
- Capital Reserve Fund - $8,720.90
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $194,613.35
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the September 17, 2011 Regular Board Meeting, during the September 21 Facilities Committee meeting and following the October 3, 2011 Planning Committee meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Student Enrollment Report. The Student Enrollment Report is provided.
- Congratulations to National Merit Students. Congragulations is extended to the following National Merit Students.
- 2012 National Merit Semifinalists:
Noah Baker, son of James and Amie Baker
Daphne Blakey, daughter of Albert Blakey and Eleni Pournaras
Brandon Leshchinskiy, son of Mike Leshchinskiy and Milana Leshinsky
Justin Renjilian, son of Rev. Robert and Christy Renjilian
- 2012 National Merit Commended Students:
Benjamin Lam, son of Tu Linh and Yen Luc Lam
Ahleah Miles, daughter of Luella Neiman
Rachel Upadhyay, daughter of Asit and Susan Upadhyay
- 2012 National Achievement Scholarship Semifinalist
Ahleah Miles, daughter of Luella Neiman
- Parent Calendar Survey
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Quality Assessment Data Report and Quality Assessment Building Reports - Dr. Maloney
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled November 10 at 3:45 PM.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Communications Report and Activities Report are provided.
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled November 7 at 6:00 PM.
- Facilities Committee Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Update. Mrs. Freireich will provide a project update.
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Change Orders. The administration recommends the approval of the proposed change orders in the amount of $30,141.58 for the Valley View renovations and additions project. The individual change orders are provided. [Motion and Vote]
- Permission to Bid Cooling Tower. The administration is requesting permission to bid the replacement of the cooling tower for the High School site facilities. [Motion and Vote]
- The minutes of September 21 Facilities Committee meeting are provided.
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled November 16 at 3:45 PM.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- FY 2012-2013 Five Year Budget Assumptions. The FY 2012-2013 Five Year Budget Assumptions will be reviewed.
- 2012-13 Budget Development. The administration will provide an update on the FY 2012-13 Budget development.
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled November 2 at 7:30 AM.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- The Personnel Committee Report listing a resignation is provided.
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes employment, request for leave of absence, re-appointment of spring season coaches for 2011-12, volunteer coach for winter 2011-12, additional substitute teachers and additional guest teachers. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; roll call vote.
- Recommend the employment of Kristy Atkinson as a Lunchroom Aide at Indian Rock Elementary School (pending clearances) at the hourly rate of $10.50, effective September 19, 2011.
- Recommend the employment of Judith Bentley as a Lunchroom Aide at Indian Rock Elementary School, at the hourly rate of $10.50, effective October 4, 2011.
- Recommend the appointment of Blythe Hart as High School Drama Production Director (pending clearances) at the salary of $1558 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Jolene Kingston as SADD Advisor at the salary of $726 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the employment of Kristine Klinedinst as a Substitute Food Service Employee at the hourly rate of $8.80, effective for the 2011-12 school year.
- Recommend the employment of Rebecca Press as a Lunchroom Aide at Indian Rock Elementary School (pending clearances) at the hourly rate of $10.50, effective October 5, 2011.
- Request for Leave of Absence
- Recommend the Board approve the request of Beth Landau, English Teacher at the High School, for a family medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act starting October 28, 2011 through approximately November 4, 2011.
- Re-Appointment of Spring Season Coaches for 2011-12
- Christopher Rotolo - Head Baseball
- Scott Cobb - JV Baseball
- Tom Shugars - Head Girls Soccer
- Nate Hoover - Assistant Girls Soccer
- David Wickenheiser - Head Track Boys and Girls
- Daniel VanHouwe - Assistant High School Track
- Michael Appleby - Assistant Junior High Track
- Neil Gutekunst - 1st Assistant Track
- Michael Jackson - Head Junior High Track Boys and Girls
- Jamie Evans - Head Boys Volleyball
- Sonia Guyer - Junior High Girls Volleyball
- Laura Meerbach - Head Girls Lacrosse
- Elizabeth Milkowski - JV Girls LaCrosse
- Mark O'Reilly - Head Boys Tennis
- Stephanie Barnes - JV Softball
- Volunteer Coach for Spring 2011-12
- Scott Reinecker - Volunteer Intramural Girls Softball Coach
- Additional Substitute Teachers
- Additional Guest Teachers
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled November 17 at 2:00 PM.
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- The next Planning Committee meeting is scheduled November 7 at 7:30 PM.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- Policy Revision. The Policy Review Committee recommends adoption of the following revised policy. [Motion and Vote]
- No. 005 - Local Board Procedures - Organization
- Continued Discussion on Transportation. The administration will provide information to begin the discussion.
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled November 15 at 3:45 PM.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- York County School of Technology - Mr. Royer
- The Mini-Board Report dated September 29 is provided by the York County School of Technology Joint Operating Committee.
- York Adams Academy Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the October 4 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- Budget Amendment 2011-12 - Access Funds. Additional revenue is available from access funds.
- Title Report. Dr. Maloney
- Recognition of Visitors
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE MEETING.