Wednesday, May 23, 2018 - Today is Cycle Day 1
York Suburban School District educates, challenges, and prepares students to shape the future.
  School Board    School Board Minutes    2011-12 Minutes Archive    Minutes 2011-09-12
Main Content Pane
Minimize

YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
SEPTEMBER 12, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER


 MINUTES
(approved September 19, 2011)

  1. Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
     
    1. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
      Mr. DeHaas called the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag. 
    2. Roll Call
      Members present - Emily Bates, Jennifer Clancy, John DeHaas, Ellen Freireich, Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Roger Miller, Jeff Royer, Lois Ann Schroeder, Cathy Shaffer, Michael Hogg (Student Representative)
      Members not present - none  
    3. Presentation and Discussion Items - Mr. DeHaas 
      1. Board Goals Discussion
        A discussion took place.  Points of discussion included:
        Goal #1 - okay as is; goal will remain
        Goal #2 - goal is something different from norm; ongoing responsibility; majority decided to remove this goal; goal will be removed
        Goal #3 - new wording to include ownership for Board and administration; review of Code of Conduct (Board Charter) will be scheduled annually at the Re-Organization Meeting in December; goal will be revised
        Goal #4 - important concept, concerned about time for implementation this year; it is tough to set target without definition; goal will remain
        Goal #5 - okay as is; goal will remain
        Goal #6 - not a goal; it is a reminder for us; possibly have operational goal list; goal will be removed
        Goal #7 - specific date/time line be created; pursue increasing fund balance; Mr. DeHaas will revise this goal
        Goal #8 - this major initiative may be tough for administration to handle this year; one other school district has signed up for this initiative, could be tasked out to health/physical education department reporting back to administration, there is no money necessary, technical advisor works with schools about curriculum; this is opportunity to take a stand of what we believe and what is important, would support completely; we have heard through Fireside Chats that there is enough on people's plates right now, it is laudible, express caution as we enter into another cycle of asking for hard decisions, is it right time, place and environment?; it is valuable to our youth; the district has a lot in place for this initiative, the regional technical advisor just signed up 90 other schools; no outlay of money is needed and we do not know what is involved for staff members, we could start and administration could let us know if it is requiring too much, allow opportunity, not trying is wrong; there will be no coming back to this, we must take the opportunity now.

        Dr. Orban stated that this is a great program.  We have talked with administrative team and had a formal presentation by the director of the program; however, it is a tough time for additional administrative responsibilities as well as adding additional responsibilities for health/physical education teachers with their new more difficult schedules.  We must be careful what we give to teachers and staff due to reductions of staff and heavier schedules at this point in time for the organization.  I suggest this start with Wellness Committee.

        The discussion continued - if you must sign up for this now, I'm a little hesitant and have cause for concern; Wellness Committee has some staff that are advocates of wellness in general;  you can do as much or as little as you want with this program, how does administration plan to implement and develop student wellness program that will be mentioned later in meeting during policy discussion?; if Board is going to adopt this, the administration cannot ignore this.  There were four Board members in support of this goal.

        Mr. DeHaas reported the results of the Board Self Assessment will be provided at next week's meeting.  This could be a carry-over goal.

        Public Comment?

        Alice Siegelman, 1554 Kentwood Lane - strong advicoate for student wellness in district

        Sarah Reinecker, 1101 Farquhar Drive - The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation gets involved with projects that are game changers and they are innovative; innovation can recharge batteries in times of difficult times; wellness is academics

        Carol Hovis, 1430 Bee Tree Road - support student wellness in the district
           
    4. Presentation and Discussion Items - Dr. Orban
      1. Request for Overnight Field Trip Discussion - Coach Yoder will be available for any questions.
        Dr. Orban's recommendation is eight girls would be the minimum number for trip.
        A discussion continued with Coach Yoder available for questions.  Points of the discussion included - trip is scheduled prior to start of winter athletic season; Coach explained competition process; Dr. Orban explained rationale for minimum number at eight because it would be a value for more students than less; last year, numbers did dwindle towards time of trip; Coach reported 11 students have indicated they are interested in trip; the Market Street program the district has started would probably not assist funding for this trip; group fundraising will be scheduled; Board members agreed to remove minimum of eight students for trip. 

        Mr. DeHaas stated action will be taken at next week's meeting.
      2. PSSA Report - Dr. Maloney
        Dr. Maloney highlighted the PSSA report.  
      3. Superintendent Goals
        Dr. Orban highlighted Superintendent goals.

        Dr. Orban reported the administration has taken the necessary steps with the state regarding a waiver due to the state of emergency for last Thursday when school was closed.

        Mr. DeHaas asked if damages were reported for possible federal funds.  Dr. Merkle replied that notification did take place. 
    5. Committee Reports
      1. Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
        1. The minutes of August 15 are provided.
          Mrs. Clancy reported the above information.
        2. The next Curriculum Committee meeting is November 10 at 3:45 PM.
          Mrs. Clancy reported the above information.

          A question was raised about selection for Strategic Plan Committee.

          Dr. Maloney responded the plan is to have recommendations from each building and also use of the last Strategic Plan committee members list.  The new timeframe will be a three year process, replacing the seven year process. 
      2. Buildings and Grounds Committee Report - Mrs. Freireich
        1. Performance Contracting Overview and Performance Contracting Presentation - Johnson Controls Representative
          Mr. Younkin introduced Nick Sracic and Joe Galli from Johnson Controls.  They provided a presentation to the Board on Performance Contracting.

          Mr. DeHaas asked if the remaining public members would like to comment to the Board as they have been very patient during this long meeting.

          Jeffrey Cooper, 903B Sunrise Lane, Wrightsville, and 207 Wynwood Road - his eight year old son attends East York Elementary and voiced concerns with new assignment of walker rather than being assigned to a bus.

          Candice Boggs, guardian of same child, 207 Wynwood Road - in addition to Mr. Cooper's comments, there are no cross walks, crossing guards or speed bumps on Sundale Drive to slow vehicles for safety of students crossing the road.

          Mr. DeHaas asked for discussion on Performance Contracting.  The discussion included this program is no cost with potential savings.
        2. Mrs. Freireich will provide a Valley View renovation project update.
          Mrs. Freireich provided an update on Valley View renovation project.  The school was opened on time and there are some roof issues remaining over the gymnasium.  Next week additional change orders will be brought to the Board.  She continued with other concerns in the district.  The 19 new light posts are being installed on the high school campus; Kinsley was on site today for the sink hole at Yorkshire; the middle school auditorium had water come in at an unimaginable place and several inches of water accumulated at the front through the first eight rows of seats, it is currently being dried out.

          A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion include - an air quality test is probably not necessary in the middle school auditorium because this was caught very quick and clean up began immediately.  There is $25,000 deductible for insurance and open claim was suggested for damages that may be discovered at a later date.  The carpet at the front will probably be replaced.

          Mrs. Freireich continued her report by reporting lightning did strike near the stadium last week and the lights are okay but some damage took place to the other systems and replacements are taking place.  These repairs are being handled by district  maintenance crew that are doing a fantastic job.  The water seepage pits in front of East York Elementary are okay but there were some problems with drain in the back of building. 
        3. The next Buildings and Grounds Committee meeting is scheduled September 21 at 3:45 PM.
          Mrs. Freireich reported the above information.
        4. The minutes of June 29 are provided.
          Mrs. Freireich reported the above information.
      3. Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
        1. The minutes of August 1 are provided.
           Mrs. Schroeder reported the above information. 
        2. York Academy Regional Charter School letter discussion
           Dr. Orban asked the Board to review the draft letter that was requested by the Board and reviewed by Communications Committee; the change of replacing the word, incensed, to disburbed was discussed at committee meeting.

          A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - use of word disturbed rather than insensed was debated; a community member talked with Board member and stated they did not like the word incensed; Dr. Orban confirmed the website and brochure did contain offensive messages for those that did see the information.  It was decided to use disturbed rather than incensed and a revised letter will be available next week for Board members' signatures.

          Dr. Orban reported there are currently 17 YS students at YARCS; the school year started with 20 students and three students returned.  A survey of the parents that have children attending YARCS is planned for the future.
        3. The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled October 3 at 6:00 PM.
          Mrs. Schroeder reported the above information.
      4. Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
        1. The minutes of July 27 are provided.
          Mr. Miller reported the above information. 
        2. Establish 2012-13 Budget Calendar
          Mr. Younkin explained the above information.

          A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - consider methodology for Board to give more guidance how to build the budget sooner than later to let administration know the target; the index should be published on September 15; the administration is preparing scenarios for availability at October 3 Planning Committee meeting; if a decision is made at November meeting, legally where do we stand for a change with a new Board?  The administration will research this question.
        3. The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled September 28 at 7:30 AM.
          Mr. Miller reported the above information. 
      5. Legislative Policy Committee - Mrs. Clancy
        Mrs. Clancy shared a letter from PSBA with Board members and asked for a review.  A lengthier report is available if anyone is interested. 
      6. Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
        1. The minutes of August 18 are provided.
          Mrs. Shaffer reported the above information.
        2. The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled November 17 at 2:00 PM.
          Mrs. Shaffer reported the above information.
      7. Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
        1. The minutes of August 1 and August 31 are provided.
          Ms. Bates reported the above information.
        2. Recommendation for revised policies and new policy
          1. Policy No. 005 - Local Board Procedures - Organization
            Ms. Bates highlighted the revisions to Policy No. 005.

            A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - add Nominating Committee to list of committees on page 5; move the Nominating Committee sentences from page 2 to page 5 comittee listing; move the "All Board committee meetings..." statement from page 6 to page 5 to start Committee listing.  The revised draft will be available at next week's meeting.
          2. Policy No. 121 - Field Trips
            Ms. Bates highlighted the revisions to Policy No. 121.

            A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - does the overnight field trip policy have the statement under #11 on page 2?  It was decided for Policy Review Committee to review this at tomorrow's meeting along with PSBA sample policies that were received.
          3. Policy No. 246 - Student Wellness
            Ms. Bates highlighted the revisions to Policy No. 246.

             A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - on page 5, is the 50%  figure accurate?; Dr. Maloney responded yes; how will administration have a student wellness plan?; Dr. Orban replied once policy is approved, the administration will review  and bring information to the Board; Wellness Committee may conduct a survey, what happens to the data?; Board sets policy not committees. 
          4. Policy No. 620 - Fund Balance
            Ms. Bates explained this is a new policy. 
            1. Fund Balance Scenarios
              Mr. Younkin explained this information.
            2. PDE Bulletin, Fund Balance Implementation
              Mr. Younkin explained this information. 
            3. Audit Crossover to GASB 54
              Mr. Younkin explained this information.

              A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion included - is goal to propose a minimum?; Dr. Orban replied goal is 2% at end of this year, then increase of 1% each year; suggestion to include "strive to maintain" wording; at what fiscal point is the credit rating affected?; Mr. Younkin replied any increase would help and policy would give a target; possibly add general statement, "build to..."  The Policy Review Committee will review this policy at tomorrow's meeting.  
        3. Political Activity Discussion
          Ms. Bates highlighted and explained the above information.

          A discussion continued.  Points of the discussion include - Per Policy #913, a community organization can hand out flyers, does this mean Board members cannot bring petitions to meeting?; suggestion was to give this information to candidates when they give their Financial Statement to the district; this is a start but there is lag time.
        4. The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled September 13 at 3:45 PM.
          Ms. Bates reported the above information. 
      8. York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
        1.  Overview of Bylaws
           Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported on October 25 the bylaws will be voted upon.  Request this item be moved to October Planning Committee meeting agenda.
    6. Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin, Dr. Orban 
      1. Preliminary 2010-11 Actual Revenue and Expenditures and Fund Balance Report
        Mr. Younkin reported the audit is on schedule and reviewed the above information.
      2. Budget Leadership Plan and Administrative Budget Timeline
        Dr. Orban reviewed the above information.
    7. Comments and/or Questions from the Public
      There was none at this time.
    8. Adjournment
      Meeting adjourned at 10:43 PM.

       

There will be an Executive Session immediately following the meeting.
An Executive Session was held.

     

The York Suburban School District is an Equal Opportunity Education Institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religious creed, ancestry, sex, age, marital status or handicap, in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Action of 1964, Title IX of the Education Act Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation of the Handicapped Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, in its activities, educational and vocational programs and in its recruitment and employment practices. Inquiries concerning the application of Title VI, Title IX, Section 504, the ADA and the implementing regulations may be referred to the Superintendent, 1800 Hollywood Drive, York, PA 17403, telephone (717) 885-1210.