YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
AUGUST 15, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
An Executive Session will be held at 6:15 PM, prior to this meeting.
(approved September 19, 2011)
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
President DeHaas called the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
- Roll Call
Members present - Emily Bates, Jennifer Clancy, John DeHaas, Ellen Freireich, Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Roger Miller, Jeff Royer, Lois Ann Schroeder, Cathy Shaffer, Michael Hogg, Student Board Representative
- Public Comment
Stephanie Veiss, 777 Southern Road - consider Jewish Community Center as bus stop for York Academy Regional Charter School students
Janet Delgado, 140 S. Royal St - respectfully request Jewish Community Center as bus stop for York Academy Regional Charter School students
Leslee Yoder, Head Cheerleading Coach - overnight field trip paper was completed, not on agenda this evening
Dr. Orban replied it will be on September 12 Planning Committee Meeting agenda where discussion takes place prior to action.
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of July 18, 2011 and the Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting of August 1, 2011. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
Mr. DeHaas reported the minutes stand approved as submitted.
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
Motion, Miller, Second, Royer, and unanimously passed (9-0); Approval of the Treasurer's Report, except 3. Payment of Bills a. General Fund-2010-11.
Motion, Miller, Second, Royer, and unanimously passed with the exception of Freireich, abstain (8-0-1); Approval of 3. Payment of Bills a. General Fund-2010-11 of the Treasurer's Report.
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 07/31/11 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 07/31/11
- Food Service Fund - $189,653.14
- Capital Reserve Fund - $315,964.89
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $2,962,586.32
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2011-12 - $1,192,060.74
- Food Service Fund - $26,622.46
- Capital Reserve Fund - $0
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $657,791.64
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the July 18, 2011 and August 1, 2011 meetings and prior to this evening's meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
Mr. DeHaas reported above information.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Student Enrollment Report. The Student Enrollment Report is provided.
Dr. Orban highlighted enrollment report.
- High School Job Training Class Report. Mrs. Jen Martin will present a report.
Dr. Orban introduced Mrs. Martin, Learning Support Teacher at High School.
Mrs. Martin provided a handout to the Board and gave a report on the High School Job Training Class.
- High School Collaboration and Educational Period - Dr. Greenholt
Dr. Orban introduced Dr. Greenholt, High School Principal.
Dr. Greenholt commented on Mrs. Martin being a very well respected teacher; students do appreciate her and we are fortunate to have her on staff. In an effort to provide six times per year for teachers to gather as departments to discuss curriculum and achievement, starting in October, Collaboration Day will be scheduled with a one-hour delay schedule. During the one hour, the campus and building will be open in an educational environment with gymnasium, library, Trojan Learning Center being available for students, providing opportunity for study skills and work ethics to be stressed, PSSA and Keystone preparation will be available, above and beyond what is usually offered. No instruction in core areas will take place. Trojan Student Points system will be open to all students where points can be earned for being in school, keeping tardies down and being involved in activities. Giving recognition to students for a job well done, students will be excused for the one hour on Collaboration Day that have earned enough points. Some students may come in because of transportation limitations. When talking with students last year about this concept, students liked the opportunity to earn recognition. One-half of ISS referrals last year were tardies to class and school. We hope this new concept will lead to improvement with regard to tardies.
- Valley View Opening Ceremony
Dr. Orban stated the Board requested additional information from the Transition Committee.
Dr. Merkle, chair for Transition Committee during last two years, stated at the May meeting, the committee developed the idea of a ceremony, tapping into the High School homecoming activities and neighborhood activities. A draft schedule was distributed to Board members. During Friday evening, at the front of Valley View, the community will join together at a stage with an emcee have the Lighting of the Cupola. The ceremony will be brief and dignified. An Open House is scheduled on Saturday before the football game and homecoming festivities. The neighborhood will be invited to be a part of this celebration.
A discussion continued. Points of the discussion included - numerous comments on this being a great idea; special dignitaries would be invited to Friday's ceremony; balance with homecoming activities is important and discussion will take place with Student Council.
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
Mr. Hogg reported with the summer winding down, fall sports and band camp started today, two of the three exchange students have arrived and Student Council picked the 2011 homecoming theme as Tropical/Under Water.
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled August 15 at 2:30 PM.
Mrs. Clancy reported the committee met this afternoon.
- Buildings and Grounds Committee Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Update. Mrs. Freireich will provide a project update. Mr. Houser will be available for any questions.
Mrs. Freireich reported this is the last offical meeting for Steve Houser. Throughout this past year, he has been very professional and a good steward of the district's needs and concerns. Certificate of Occupancy is much to his credit. Many thanks was extended to Steve for his time and energy to the district.
Mr. Girling thanked Steve and commended him for a job well done. Having Steve working in a full-time capacity at Valley View has allowed the building to be opened on time. This project was a challenging one.
Mr. Houser stated in the past 19 years, he has not met a staff that has been as accomodating as York Suburban. He appreciated the last 14 months and knows this project was a team effort. He wishes the district well in the renovated building.
Mrs. Freireich reported the temporary occupancy permit was issued and teachers did report back to their classrooms; the cupola was placed; cleaning continues inside and outside of building; and grass will be planted later this week; all systems are a go and will be reading for opening day. A thanks was extended to Barry Girling, Bill Boll and their staff for carrying boxes around for the last two years with the building projects.
- Valley View Elementary Renovation Project Change Orders. The administration recommends the approval of the proposed change orders in the amount of $20,320.90 for the Valley View renovations and additions project. The individual change orders are provided. [Motion and Vote]
Motion, Freireich, Second, Schroeder; Approval of the proposed change orders in the amount of $20,320.90 for the Valley View renovations and additions project. Roll call vote, all present, yes. Motion carried 9-0.
Mrs. Freireich reported the light poles at the High School and other projects at East York and Middle School are continuing. At the front of the High School, the little hole in portico will be repaired.
- The next Buildings and Grounds Committee meeting is scheduled September 21 at 3:45 PM.
Mrs. Freireich reported the above information.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled September 12 at 6:00 PM.
Mrs. Schroeder reported the committee continues work on Key Communicator Program and the district will develop a Facebook page and also reported the above information.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled August 31 at 7:30 AM.
Mr. Miller reported the above information.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- Motion, Shaffer, Second, Freireich; Approval of the conceptual agreement reached with York Suburban Education Association to:
a) extend the current collective bargaining agreement an additional 2 years until June 30, 2015;
b) reduce the scheduled pay increase from 2.75 to 2.0% for 2011-12 and from 2.75% to 1.0% in 2012-13;
c) implement salary increases of 1.0% in 2013-14 and 1.0% in 2014-15;
d) slow down horizontal movement on the salary schedule;
e) reduce the number of college education credits paid for by the district; and,
f) address several other issues including seniorty, sick days and Act 48 credits offered by the district.
Approval of this conceptual agreement is subject to the preparation of a mutually agreeable Amendment to the current Collective Bargaining Agreement retroactive to August 15, 2011 for formal action by the Board at the next regularly scheduled meeting on September 19, 2011, or at a Special Meeting duly called sooner for that purpose.
Mr. DeHaas publicly thanked the Association to discuss these issues in the ever changing environment and for considering the greater good of the district.
Public Comment? There was none at this time.
Roll call vote, all present, yes. Motion carried 9-0.
- The Personnel Committee Report listing resignations and a reassignment is provided.
Mrs. Shaffer reported the above information.
- Informational - Elementary Staffing
Mrs. Shaffer reported the above information.
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes request for sabbatical leave, request for leave of absence, employment, re-appointment of extracurricular positions for 2011-2012-High School, volunteer coaches for fall 2011-2012, intramural coach for fall 2011-2012, substitute teachers and guest teachers. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; roll call vote.
Motion, Shaffer, Second, Royer, and unanimously passed (9-0); Approval of the Personnel Report including items on the Addendum.
Dr. Merkle introduced Angela Edel, Hannah Stayer, Daniel Chronister, Sarah Dise and Cathi Hicks, in attendance this evening.
Dr. Bertram introduced Susan L. Grove, in attendance this evening.
- Request for Sabbatical Leave
- Recommend the Board accept the request of Debra Weidman, English Teacher at the Middle School, for a Sabbatical Leave for restoration of health for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Request for Leave of Absence
- Recommend the Board approve the request of Cynthia Abeles, Music Teacher at the Middle School, for a short term disability leave starting August 24, 2011 (for partial days), followed by a family medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act, followed by an unpaid leave of absence through June 6, 2012. Mrs. Abeles will be returning to her position at the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year.
- Name: Angela N. Edel
Education: Eastern University, MBA in Management; Shippensburg University, B.S. in Business Administration and Business-Computer-Information Technology K-12 Certification
Certification: Business-Computer-Information Technology K-12
Experience: South Western School District, Business Education Teacher
Contract: Professional Contract
Salary: $37,719 * (*salary is pro-rated based on 60% employment) - M.S. - Step 5
Assignment: Business Education Teacher
Building: High School
- Name: Hannah G. Stayer
Education: York College of PA, B.S. in Music Education K-12
Certification: Music Education K-12
Contract: Temporary Professional Contract
Salary: $28,824 * (*salary is based on 60% employment) - B.S. - Step 1
Assignment: Music Teacher
Building: High School/Valley View Elementary
- Name: Krista L. Wolfenberger
Education: Millersville University, School Nurse Certification; York College of PA, B.S. in Nursing
Certification: School Nurse
Contract: Temporary Professional Contract
Salary: $48,040 - B.S. - Step 1
Assignment: School Nurse
Building: High School
- Recommend the employment of Daniel Chronister as a full-time substitute for the 2011-2012 school year as an English Teacher for Debra Weidman at the Middle School, at the salary of $48,040 (Step 1 of the Bachelor's Degree Schedule).
- Recommend the employment of Sara Dise as a full-time substitute for the 2011-2012 school year as a Music Teacher for Cynthia Abeles at the Middle School, at the salary of $48,040 (Step 1 of the Bachelor's Degree Schedule) to be prorated based upon her employment.
- Recommend the appointment of Sarah Dise as Middle School Show Choir Director at the salary of $1,261 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Sarah Dise as Middle School Musical Director at the salary of $1,333 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the employment of Susan L. Grove as a part-time Health Room Assistant at the hourly rate of $15.45, effective at the beginning of the 2011-2012 school year.
- Recommend the employment of Cathi Hicks as a full-time substitute for the 2011-2012 school year as a first grade teacher at Yorkshire Elementary, at the salary of 48,040 (Step 1 of the Bachelor's Degree Schedule).
- Recommend the appointment of Nathan Hoover to the position of Assistant (Girls) Soccer Coach at a salary of $3,204 which represents Step 4 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. Hoover has served as a volunteer assistant for both boys and girls soccer and was previously a head soccer coach for the district.
- Recommend the appointment of Scott Luckenbaugh to the position of Head 7th/8th Grade Football Coach, pending all district clearances, at a salary of $3,766 which represents Step 3 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule. Mr. Luckenbaugh has previously served as a volunteer coach and as an intramural rate assistant coach with our program for several years.
- Recommend the appointment of Hannah Stayer as High School Show Choir Director at the salary of $1,294 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the appointment of Hannah Stayer as High School Musical Choral Director at the salary of $895 (1/2 salary) which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
- Recommend the employment of Austin Wright as a full-time second shift custodian at the High School at the hourly rate of $12.24 per hour, effective pending Board approval and all district clearances.
- Recommend the employment of Beverly Yerger as a full year part-time (20 hours per week) second shift custodian at Valley View Elementary, at the hourly rate of $12.24 per hour, effective pending Board approval and all district clearances.
- Re-Appointment of Extracurricula Positions for 2011-12 - High School
- Tri-M Music Honor Society - Ashley Thrush
- Volunteer Coaches for Fall 2011-2012
- Jeff Pflaum - Varsity Football
- Pelle Grimm - Varsity Football
- Tyler Knaub - Varsity Football
- Mike Smith - Varsity Football
- Brent Markle - 9th Grade Football
- Justin Krebs - Cross Country
- Walt Schrading - Cross Country
- Dan Jones - Cross Country
- Judy Stewart - Cross Country
- Jonathan Oestereich - Cross Country
- Lynne VanHouwe - Cross Country
- Scott Toman - Girls Tennis
- Mark Guyer - Girls Volleyball
- Seane Krinock - Girls Volleyball
- Jennifer Clancy - Girls Intramural Softball
- Gina Sipple - Girls Intramural Softball
- Eric Eytcheson - Girls Intramural Softball
- Maxine Cooper - Junior High Cheerleading
- Alexis Snell - Varsity Cheerleading
- Intramural Coach for Fall 2011-2012
- Terry Waltimyer - 7th/8th Grade Football (pending district clearances)
- Substitute Teachers
- Guest Teachers
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled August 18 at 2:00 PM.
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Board Goals
Mr. DeHaas distributed a list of goals this evening. It was decided to table this discussion until September Planning Committee Meeting.
- The next Planning Committee meeting is scheduled September 12 at 7:30 PM.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported the above information.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled August 31 at 3:45 PM.
Ms. Bates reported the above information which is a new date for next committee meeting.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported at the September Planning Committe meeting a brief overview of bylaws of the York Area Tax Bureau will be presented.
- York County School of Technology - Mr. Royer
- The Mini-Board Report dated July 19 is provided by the York County School of Technology Joint Operating Committee.
Mr. Royer reported above information.
- York Adams Academy Report - Mrs. Freireich
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the August 2 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
Mr. DeHaas reported the above information.
Mrs. Freireich reported the LIU JOA, that has authority of the York Learning Center, approved replacing a very antiquated 1000 gallon hot water heater with two 250 gallon hot water heaters which will be much more efficient; the Cape Horn Academy will be closing with one of the classes going to the York Learning Center; substantial concrete work is taking place on the outside of the building; and, Dr. Thew, LIU Executive Director, is beginning his budgeting process and will provide a three-year budget projection to assist districts in their long-range budget planning.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- School Bus Loading Zones - The Vehicle Code requires the Board establish school bus loading zones along the highways traveled by school buses under 75 Pa. CSA Section 3345(i). A list of school bus loading zones for the 2011-12 school year is provided. [Motion and Vote]
A discussion took place. Points of the discussion include - should the Board discuss the requests heard earlier about transporting students from child care centers to York Academy Regional Charter School?; administration's recommendation is to continue providing transportation from residences, the district only transports students from child care centers within elementary attendance area; if this request is honored now because it is cost neutral, would there be other child care requests?; if we are talking about customer service, this is a way to be customer friendly, and if another request comes in that is not cost neutral, we could say no; the request would be to pick up students at JCC not residences; JCC is providing an on-site child care at the Regional Charter School; to be fair, we have restricted busing this year; Mr. Spare could provide legal advice after reviewing information; believe consistency is necessary going forward; bus routes do need Board action this evening; the route in question could be pulled out for vote; it may be worth getting feedback from counsel and discussing this later; several Board members voiced their favor of administration recommendation; Mrs. Clancy will abstain from voting because she is waiting to hear back from Durham about one of her children's bus route.
Motion, Freireich, Second, Royer; Approval of the list of school bus loading zones for the 2011-12 school as provided by administration. Roll Call Vote, all present, yes, except Shaffer-no and Clancy-abstain. Motion carried 7-1-1.
- Title Report. Dr. Maloney
- Recognition of Visitors
Steve Whiteley, 8 Eastern Boulevard - commented about his offense to a radio announcement he heard about York Academy Regional Charter School during the summer
A discussion took place. Points of the discussion included - could the district take a stand and write a letter to Board of Directors at York Area Regional Charter School?; supervising Superintendent did acknowledge the radio announcement.
Mr. DeHaas requested the administration draft a letter.
Meeting adjourned at 9:57 PM.
TO: Members of the York Suburban School Board
FROM: Kathryn L. Orban, Superintendent
DATE: August 15, 2011
SUBJECT: Addendum to the Agenda for the Board Meeting of August 15, 2011
X. Personnel Committee Report
16. Recommend the appointment of Theresa Jackson as 9th Grade Class Advisor at the salary of $344 which represents Step 1 of the Extracurricular Salary Schedule.
H. Additional Volunteer Coaches for Fall 2011-2012
20. Caitlin Eckenrode - JH Field Hockey
21. Dianna Sauder - JH Cross Country
22. Michael Jackson - JH Cross Country
23. Kate Leik - JH Cross Country
24. Jeffrey Haldeman - Varsity Football
N. Additional Substitute Teachers