YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
NOVEMBER 7, 2011 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
(approved November 21, 2011)
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
President DeHaas called the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- Roll Call
Members present - Emily Bates, Jennifer Clancy, John DeHaas, Ellen Freireich, Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Roger Miller, Jeff Royer, Lois Ann Schroeder, Cathy Shaffer, Michael Hogg (Student Board Representative)
Members not present - None
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Nominating Committee Chair and Members
Mr. DeHaas reported members of the Board not seeking re-election will serve on the Nominating Committee and Ms. Bates has agreed to be the chairman. If you are interested in seeking an office, please contact Ms. Bates.
Ms. Bates reported a date will be set for this meeting in the future.
Mrs. Clancy suggsted a date be selected that suits everyone's schedule to allow attendance at the meeting.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Overnight Field Trip Request. Mrs. Katie Seufert, Ski Club Co-Advisor, will be available for any questions.
Dr. Orban asked if there were any questions regarding this request.
A discussion continued. Points of the discussion included - The chaperone to student ratio is per policy, 1 to 10; the adult chaperones will have appropriate background checks.
- High School Science Olympiad Recommendation
Dr. Orban asked if there was any discussion on this item.
A discussion continued. Points of the discussion included - Student Council would cover any costs associated to participate; a team did participate last and this will make it official; request to administration to convey thanks to the teachers volunteering their time to make this possible for students.
- Committee Reports
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is November 10 at 3:45 PM.
Mrs. Clancy reported above information. Dr. Maloney will be sending the agenda tomorrow.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- Preliminary Calendar Survey Feedback
Mrs. Schroeder reported the surveys were discussed at tonight's meeting and basically responses were supportive of calendar as we have been doing it - no favor of a protected or longer spring break. There was a good response from both parents and staff.
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled December 5 at 6:00 PM.
Mrs. Schroeder reported the above information.
Ms. Bates added that out of the committee's discussion on the calendar surveys, the Policy Review Committee will look at the educational trip policy.
Mrs. Schroeder encouraged Board members to review the open comments on the calendar summaries.
- Facilities Committee Report - Mrs. Freireich
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled November 16 at 3:45 PM.
Mrs. Freireich reported the above information.
Mr. DeHaas asked when the high school parking lot paving would take place?
Mr. Younkin replied Friday, November 11, being dependent on the weather.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The minutes of September 28 are provided.
Mr. Miller reported the above information. At the Finance Committee meeting, Mr. Younkin provided an explanation how the projected numbers are decided, basing it on the last five year average of expenses and revenue, with some variables from year to year. Mr. Younkin can explain this further upon request.
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled November 30 at 7:30 AM.
Mr. Miller reported the above information.
- Legislative Policy Committee - Mrs. Clancy
Mrs. Clancy reported that Mrs. Freireich and myself attended the October 20 Legislative Council meeting and the 2012 platform was voted upon. The district top legislative priorities will be identified at a later date. A campaign focus at this leadership forum was "Stand Up for Public Education". A dvd was provided to Dr. Orban and she will check to see if it is worth sharing with Board members.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- The next Personnel Committee meeting is scheduled November 17 at 2:00 PM.
Mrs. Shaffer reported the above information.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled November 15 at 3:45 PM.
Ms. Bates reported the above information.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported that she was unable to attend the YATB meeting last Monday. She has served during the summer on the new bylaws commtittee for York Area Tax Bureau. They have encountered a temporary impass. Wording was crafted with Adams County. A handful of sub-divisions in Adams County have requested additional statements. The entities in York County have been responsibile for building maintenance. This is an administrative glitch and additional information will be presented when it is available.
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- Local Earned Income Tax/Net Profits Resolution. Mr. Younkin will review the proposed resolution revising collection for the earned income tax under Act 32.
Mr. Younkin highlighted the above information and is looking for adoption of resolution on November 21 regular Board meeting.
- 2012-13 Budget Development. The administration will provide an update on the FY2012-13 budget development.
Mr. Younkin reported work continues with the budget. Discussion took place this evening with Communications Committee about Community Budget Meetings. Work will continue on the draft of preliminary budget during the next two weeks and information should be available on November 21.
- Comments and/or Questions from the Public
Dr. Orban reported a draft copy of community budget meeting materials are available this evening for Board members.
Mrs. Schroeder reported the dates, locations and times for community budget meetings - November 29, 6:00 PM, Middle School; November 30, 4:00 PM, Valley View; December 1, 2:30 PM, Indian Rock; December 7, 4:00 PM, East York; December 8, 10:25 AM, Yorkshire; December 10, 9:00 AM, High School. Various times and locations have been scheduled this year.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:47 PM.