YORK SUBURBAN SCHOOL BOARD
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
APRIL 16, 2012 - 7:30 PM
RONALD PROVARD EDUCATION CENTER
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION AT 6:45 PM.
M I N U T E S
(approved May 21, 2012)
- General Business
- Call to Order - Mr. DeHaas
- Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
President DeHaas called the meeting to order with the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag.
- Roll Call
Members Present - Emily Bates, Jennifer Clancy, John DeHaas, Bill Kirk, Lynne Leopold-Sharp, Roger Miller, Lois Ann Schroeder, Joel Sears, Cathy Shaffer, Michael Hogg (Student Board Representative)
- Public Comment
An opportunity was provided for Public Comment. There was none at this time.
- Discussion and Action on Board Minutes - Approval of the Minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of March 19, 2012 and the Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting of April 2, 2012. [Approve as submitted/corrected]
Mr. DeHaas reported the minutes are approved as submitted.
- Treasurer's Report - Mr. Miller [Consent Agenda: Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, a motion to approve the below-mentioned items; second; and roll call vote]
Motion, Miller, Second, Leopold-Sharp, and unanimously passed 9-0; Approval of the Treasurer's Report.
- Approval of Treasurer's Report as of 03/31/2012 [File for audit] The Treasurer's Report, Summary Report and Check Summary are provided.
- Fund Account Reports showing balance as of 03/31/12
- Food Service Fund - $138,287.82
- Capital Reserve Fund - $215,388.50
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $1,236,442.11
- Payment of Bills
- General Fund-2011-12 - $1,515,302.35
- Food Service Fund - $143,211.46
- Capital Reserve Fund - $0
- Capital Projects Fund-Bond Series of 2006 & 2007 - $1,910.51
- Board President's Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Recognition of the First Place Medalists in the Southcentral PA Regional Science Olympiad Competition. The Board of School Directors would like to recognize the students and their parents.
- First Place Medalists in Water Quality
- Emma Matcham, daughter of James and Mary Jane Matcham
- Hannah Yu, daughter of Pyong and Yong Yu
Mr. DeHaas congratulated Emma Matcham, in attendance, and recognized Hannah Yu.
- Recognition of the All-State Musicians at the PA Music Educators Association. The Board of School Directors would like to recognize the students and their parents.
- All-State Orchestra
- Rose Crosset, daughter of Robert and Lisa Crosset
- All-State Band
- Nathan Krebs, son of Martin and Melinda Krebs
- All-State Jazz Band
- Hayden Orleth-Diener, son of Tim Diener and Rauthild Orleth-Diener
Mr. DeHaas congratulated the following students in attendance at the meeting - Rose Crosset, violin; Nathan Krebs, trombone; Hayden Orleth-Diener, tenor saxophone.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp announced that Emma Matcham has been a volunteer for three years with the Tax Preparation Assistance Program in the county.
- Executive Session. The Board met in executive session following the March 19, 2012 Regular Monthly Board Meeting and the April 2, 2012 Planning Committee Meeting and prior to this evening's meeting for the purpose of discussing personnel and/or legal issues.
Mr. DeHaas reported above information.
Mr. DeHaas announced that he is looking for two to three volunteers to present board goals for the May Planning Committee meeting. He reminded board members to let him know if they are interested. Wendy will send out last year's board goals as a starting point.
- Superintendent's Report - Dr. Orban
- Student Enrollment Report.
Dr. Orban highlighted above report. The Kindergarten enrollment for next year is still lower than previous years. The signs placed in the community have created some additional calls.
- Comprehensive Plan Update - Dr. Maloney
Dr. Maloney highlighted above report.
- Administrative Retreat
Dr. Orban reported the Administrative Retreat will be held on June 19 and 20 and 1/2 day on June 21. Having the Board goals by that time will be very helpful so the administration can frame their discussions. The team will be working on leadership this year with a facilitator and the usual wrap-up of the current year and start of the new year discussion and planning.
- High School Principal Search - Dr. Merkle
Dr. Merkle reported information has been posted on numerous professional sites, the job posting went to the tri-county Superintendents and Curriculum Directors and our staff. The administration anticipates having a candidate ready for the June Board meeting. The process for the search is available on website. A three tier interview process will be utilized. The administration does anticipate strong internal and external candidates and May 14 is deadline for application.
Mr. DeHaas thanked Dr. Greenholt for his service and congratulated him on the new position.
- The administration recommends approval of a settlement agreement between the District and the parents of Student No. 212584. [Motion and Vote]
Motion, Sears, Second, Bates; Approval of the settlement agreement between the District and the parents of Student No. 212584. Roll call vote, all present yes. Motion carried 9-0.
- Request for Overnight Field Trip. The administration recommends approval of the Overnight Field Trip Request for Quiz Bowl students. [Discussion, Motion and Vote]
Dr. Orban highlighted above information. Four students qualified and only two studentswill be competing due to scheduling conflicts. A male and female chaperone are being arranged for the male and female students.
Motion, Shafffer, Second, Schroeder, and unanimously passed (9-0); Approval of the Overnight Field Trip Request for Quiz Bowl students.
- Student Board Representative Report - Mr. Hogg
Mr. Hogg reported the annual CTC Dodgeball Tournament was held at the end of March. The new School Board Representative was elected, Brad Clark. Student Council officers were elected and class officer elections will be held this week. The indoor color guard took first place in championships while breaking the all-time record of highest score. A Trojan Palooza will be scheduled. PSSA testing continues. The Green Club is helping York College and will be clearning up Lake Redman for Earth Day tomorrow. An athletic team update was provided. On behalf of the student body, Mr. Hogg thanked Dr. Greenholt for his service to the high school.
- Academic Standards and Curriculum Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
- The next Curriculum Committee meeting is scheduled May 17 at 3:45 PM.
Mrs. Clancy reported above information.
- Communications Committee Report - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Communications Report and Activities Report are provided.
Mrs. Schroeder reported above information and also reported there will be a boys volleyball white-out event on Thursday evening and a fundraiser has been arranged with Northeastern High School to benefit local charities.
- The next Communications Committee meeting is scheduled May 7 at 6:00 PM.
Mrs. Schroeder reported above information.
- Facilities Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- Guaranteed Energy Savings Proposal. The Director of Finance and Support Services is recommending the Board defer action on the proposals for Guaranteed Energy Savings projects from Johnson Controls until the terms of the financing can be reviewed with RBC.
Questions and Answers Cover
Questions and Answers 1 - Responses to Board Questions
Questions and Answers 3 - Buildings & Grounds Committee Presentation
Questions and Answers 4 - Administration's Facility Improvement Measure Workshop
Questions and Answers 5 - Technology Workshop
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported it is suggested to defer the decision on the Guaranteed Energy Savings Proposal. Financial options will be discussed at the Facilities Committee meeting on April 25, with Ken Phillips from RBC. Board members are strongly encouraged to attend the committee meeting.
- The next Facilities Committee meeting is scheduled April 25 at 5:30 PM.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported above information.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported per an email from PSBA, the Governor proposed a moratorium on school construction for any projects within the PlanCon process and suggested no state dollars for projects within the PlanCon process. Asking Mr. Younkin, if he knew if that applies to projects that are incomplete and asked if the district's projects would be safe because they are complete?
Mr. Younkin replied that would apply to projects that have not gone through the PlanCon process. The district is still waiting Plancon H approval for the Yorkshire and Valley View projects at the state level.
A discussion took place. Points of the discussion were - Mr. Younkin will ask Ken Phillips to attend the May Planning Committee meeting too; it is anticipated for Mr. Phillips' part of the meeting to take approximately 30 minutes and it will scheduled at the beginning of the meeting; the schedule of projects will need to be altered for the summer and following; a delay in the pool pack is no concern per Mr. Girling; the windows and doors at the bus entrance at the high school would not be available from the manufacturer until December or January.
- Finance Committee Report - Mr. Miller
- The next Finance Committee meeting is scheduled May 2 at 5:30 PM.
Mr. Miller reported above information.
- Personnel Committee Report - Mrs. Shaffer
- Addendum to the Agreement - York Suburban Education Support Personnel Association. The administration recommends the acceptance of the Addendum to the Agreement for wage reductions for the remaining two years of the YSESPA Agreement and an extension of the YSESPA Agreement for one year through June 30, 2015. [Motion and Vote]
Motion, Shaffer, Second, Schroeder; Acceptance of the Addendum to the Agreement for wage reductions for the remaining two years of the York Suburban Education Support Personnel Association Agreement and an extension of the YSESPA Agreement for one year through June 30, 2015. Roll Call Vote, all present, yes. Motion carried 9-0.
Mr. DeHaas thanked the leadership of the Association for discussion to continue to work together to strengthen the school district and also thanked the leadership for coming to the meeting this evening.
- Recommend the extension of the Contract for Employment of the Director of Finance and Support Services, Dennis L. Younkin, for the term June 2, 2012 through June 1, 2013, and authorizing the Board President to execute a document memorializing the contract extension. [Motion and Vote]
Motion, Shaffer, Second, Sears; Approval of the extension of the Contract for Employment of the Director of Finance and Support Services, Dennis L. Younkin, for the term June 2, 2012 through June 1, 2013 and authorizing the Board President to execute a document memorializing the contract extension. Roll Call Vote, all present, yes. Motion carried 9-0.
Mr. DeHaas commented to Mr. Younkin that his service to the district has been widely admired and recognized and has fulfilled this position in a way we are all very proud. We hope that this is a precursor of looking forward to working together on a longer agreement. We appreciate your thoughtfulness with this action and the Board looks forward to working with you.
- Consent Agenda: You have before you the Personnel Report which includes approval of requests for leave of absence, employment, retirements, resignations substitute teachers, and guest teachers. Would any board member like any of these items considered separately or are there any questions on any of these items? If not, the chair moves approval of the below-mentioned items; second; roll call vote.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp asked if the action for Beth Landau was a retirement or resignation?
Dr. Merkle replied a retirement.
Mrs. Clancy asked if the administration planned to replace that position with a hire?
Dr. Merkle replied that is the administration's intent at this time to replace the position with a hire.
Motion, Shaffer, Second, Bates, and unanimously passed (9-0); Approval of the Consent Agenda of the Personnel Committee Report.
Mrs. Shaffer commented on the resignations of Tom Sugars and Tom Triggs; appreciation was extended for their years of service as coaches. She also commented on the long term of employment for Pat Vaughn.
- Requests for Leave of Absence
- Recommend Board approval of the request of Mary Ann Stone, Food Service Employee at East York Elementary School, for an extension of her unpaid leave of absence starting April 1, 2012 through June 5, 2012.
- Recommend Board approval of the request of Suzette White, 2nd Grade Teacher at Yorkshire Elementary School, for a short-term disability leave starting on or about July 12, 2012, followed by a family medical leave under the Family and Medical Leave Act starting on or about August 23, 2012 through September 28, 2012. Mrs. White will be returning to her position on October 1, 2012.
- Recommend the employment of Dana McGurk as a Long Term Substitute 5th Grade Teacher for Patricia Rinkevich at the Indian Rock Elementary School, starting April 2, 2012, through June 6, 2012, at the daily rate of $105.
- Recommend the employment of Jennifer Miller as a Substitute Lunchroom Aide at the hourly rate of $9.55, effective for the 2011-2012 school year.
- Recommend the employment of Andrea Tarr as a Long Term Substitute Math Teacher for Debra Young at the Middle School, starting March 26, 2012, through approximately May 4, 2012, at the daily rate of $105.
- Recommend Board approval of the retirement of Beth Landau, English Teacher at the High School, effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year. Mrs. Landau is retiring after having served 7 years in education, all with York Suburban School District.
- Recommend Board approval of the retirement of Patricia Vaughn, Head Cook at Yorkshire Elementary School and formerly the Head Cook at the High School, effective at the end of the 2011-2012 school year. Mrs. Vaughn is retiring after having served 32 1/2 years with York Suburban School District.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Russell Greenholt, High School Principal, effective June 30, 2012.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Thomas Shugars, Assistant Boys Soccer Coach, effective immediately.
- Recommend Board approval of the resignation of Thomas Triggs, Head Boys Basketball Coach, effective March 22, 2012.
- Substitute Teachers and Guest Teachers
- Planning Committee Report - Ms. Leopold-Sharp
- The next Planning Committee meeting is May 7 at 7:30 PM.
Ms. Leopold-Sharp reported above information.
- Policy Review Committee Report - Ms. Bates
- The next Policy Review Committee meeting is scheduled May 2 at 3:45 PM.
Ms. Bates reported above information and added this meeting is a change as it was originally scheduled for May 15.
- York Area Tax Bureau Report - Mr. Sears
- York County School of Technology - Mrs. Schroeder
- The Mini-Board Report dated March 29, 2012 is provided by the York County School of Technology Joint Operating Committee.
Mrs. Schroeder encouraged everyone to review the Mini-Board Report and learn more about YCST.
- York Adams Academy Report - Mr. DeHaas
- Lincoln Intermediate Unit Board Report - Mr. Sears
- "...by Dawn's Early Light" outlining the highlights of the April 3, 2012 LIU Board Meeting is provided.
Mr. Sears reported the above information. He recommended an approximate ten-minute presention put together by Dr. Bloom at the LIU be presented at one of our Board meetings. The presentation explains how special education is financed at the LIU and it is very interesting. It will provide insight into the challenges the LIU faces in their budget. March 30 was the deadline to let the LIU know what programs would be brought back to the district level and that is a concern throughout the three counties that the LIU serves.
- Legislative Policy Committee Report - Mrs. Clancy
Mrs. Clancy asked the administration to review the proposed resolutions that PSBA provided and if timely, schedule a discussion at the May Planning Committee meeting.
- Business Office Report - Mr. Younkin
- 2012-13 Budget Development. The administration recommends the adoption of the Proposed Final Budget for the 2012-13 fiscal year. [Motion and Vote]
2012-13 Proposed General Operating Fund Budget - Background Information, Fiscal Impact and Recommendation
2012-13 Proposed Budget Changes
General Fund Budget Summary for Prior Years, Current and Budget Year
PDE 2028 - 2012-13 Preliminary General Fund Budget
Mr. Younkin highlighted above information. He recommended a budget hearing at the May Planning Committee meeting and budget adoption at the May regular meeting.
A discussion continued. Points of the discussion included - following the action earlier in the meeting with the Amendment to the Agreement of York Suburban Education Support Personnel Association, the support staff salary section of the budget sheet will be updated to reflect the approximate $28,000 reduction; pros and cons were expressed with increasing fund balance with $600,000 vs. utilizing the $600,000 to extinguish tax increase; less revenue is anticipated due to loss in accessed values; approximately $75,000 transfer tax for sale of not for profit entity and will be in this year's budget; clarification will be researched by administration with York Area Tax Bureau regarding pro-rated revenues for municipal entities.
Mr. DeHaas surveyed the Board - the vast majority were basically in favor of the spending plan.
A discussion continued on the funding plan. Points of the discussion were - use $225,000 of the $600,000 in the fund balance and the remainder to keep tax increase at reasonable level; retain the $600,000 in the fund balance as a savings to take in account for uncertainties in the future such as reduction of PlanCon dollars from the state and possible increase in special education funding formula and the change in re-assessed property values; the bond rating is detrimentally affected by smaller fund balance; every school district is in the same financial situation and personnel costs are driving the situation, we have to talk about this now and deal with it or we'll have this same conversation in years to come; this is proposed budget and due to uncertainty of what may come from the state, a different discussion could take place during the final budget discussion; request for Mr. Younkin to provide electronically to Board members when new and/or additional information is available related to fiscal matters.
Motion, Leopold-Sharp, Second, Miller; Adopting the administration's recommendation of the proposed final budget with appropriations in the amount of $46,853,142 and a real estate milage for 2012-13 for 20.8007 mills. Roll Call Vote, all present yes, except Miller, Sears, Kirk, no. Motion carried 6-3.
- Budget Transfers 2011-12. The administration recommends approval of the March 31, 2012 Budget Transfers for the 2011-12 Budget. [Motion and Vote]
Motion, Clancy, Second, Leopold-Sharp; Approval of the March 31, 2012 Budget Transfers for 2011-12 budget. Roll Call Vote, all present, yes. Motion carried 9-0.
- Recognition of Visitors
Mrs. Schroeder commented on the Personnel Committee Report with regard to the retirements and resignations. She continued and thanked Coach Trigss and wished him well as he certainly did a lot for Boys Basektball program.
An opportunity was provided for Public Comment.
Ellen Freireich, 2805 Lehigh Rd - interesting discussion on budget this evening; suggestion looking at some ways of reinstituting the calendar and YS Pride newsletter to allow district information to be distributed to vast majority of people in the district.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:51 PM.
THERE WILL BE AN EXECUTIVE SESSION IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE MEETING.
An Executive Session was held.